Bacon and Caramelized Onion Tart With Crema & Roasted Red Peppers
WHAT YOU NEED
- 6 strips thick-cut bacon, diced
- 2 large yellow onions, thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 roll frozen puff pastry, thawed (half of a 17-ounce box)
- ¾ cup Cacique® Crema Mexicana Agria
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 4-ounce jar roasted red pepper strips, drained
- 1 cup shredded Cacique® Manchego
HOW TO MAKE IT
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the bacon until crisp, 6 to 8 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, lift the bacon onto a paper towel-lined plate.
- Remove all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon fat from the pan. In the remaining bacon fat, place the onions over medium heat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook, stirring often, for 15 to 18 minutes, until caramelized and very tender.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Unroll the puff pastry and use a rolling pin to flatten it slightly to make a 12-inch square. Lay on an ungreased baking sheet. Whisk the Crema Mexicana Agria with the egg and spoon over the pastry, leaving a half-inch border.
- Scatter the cooked bacon over the crema. Top with the red pepper strips, and then spoon the onions evenly over all. Scatter with the Manchego, and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the pastry puffs up around the edges and turns golden. Serve warm or at room temperature.