Carrot Sour Cream Roll
WHAT YOU NEED
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup cane sugar (or granulated white sugar)
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil (or vegetable oil)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups shredded carrots (about 2-3 medium carrots)
- 1 batch crema filling (see below)
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar for rolling
- Crema Filling Ingredients:
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 cup CaciqueⓇ Crema Mexicana Agria
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a 15 x 10-inch jelly-roll pan with parchment paper, leaving an extra 1-inch of parchment sticking up on both 15-inch sides of the pan so that you can easily lift the cake out after baking. (If you’d like the parchment to stick to the bottom of the pan more easily, sprinkle a little bit of water on the pan and then press the parchment paper on top of it. You can also lightly mist the top of the parchment paper with cooking spray for easier cake release afterwards, although it’s not required.)
- Whisk together flour, cinnamon, baking powder, ginger, salt, nutmeg, and cloves (if using) in medium bowl until combined.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, whisk together eggs and sugar for 1 minute until thick. Add in the oil, vanilla and shredded carrots, and whisk until just combined. Fold in the flour mixture with a rubber spatula, and stir together until just combined.
- Spread the batter evenly into prepared pan. Bake for 10 to 13 minutes, or until top of cake springs back when touched. Carefully lift the parchment paper and cake out onto a flat (and heat-safe) surface. Then slowly, roll the cake — rolling from the short end to the short end — until it is completely rolled up. Transfer the cake roll to a wire rack, and cool until it reaches room temperature.
- While the cake is cooling, make the filling (see below).
- When the cake has reached room temperature, transfer the cake roll to a flat surface, and carefully it until it is flat again (or mostly flat, it’s ok if the ends curl up a bit). Spread the crema mixture evenly over cake, leaving a 3/4-inch border on all sides. Then carefully re-roll the cake, gently peeling away the parchment paper as you roll until you can completely remove and discard it. Tightly wrap the carrot roll in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least one hour.
- Remove and unwrap the carrot roll and transfer it to your serving dish. Lightly dust the pumpkin roll on all sides with powdered sugar, if you would like. Then slice* and serve.
- To Make the Crema Filling: Whisk together crema and powdered sugar. Spread on cookie sheet with parchment paper. Bake for 15 – 20 minutes, until the crema mixture has thickened up. Then let cool for 10 minutes before spreading on chilled cake.