WHAT YOU NEED
- 1 cup Cacique® Crema Mexicana
- ¼ cup masa harina
- 3½ cups cold water
- 2 cups milk
- 2 bars or disks Mexican chocolate broken into large chunks (substitute 8 oz. of dark chocolate for Mexican-chocolate)
- 2 cinnamon sticks (fresh)
- Pinch salt
- Pan Dulce (can be purchased in a Mexican bakery or specialty market)
HOW TO MAKE IT
- In a small bowl, combine masa with ½ cup water, mix by hand to form a paste. In medium saucepan, add the paste and the remaining 3 cups of water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook slowly for 20 minutes until mixture thickens, stirring constantly to avoid lumps, do not scorch the bottom nor let a thick layer develop on the bottom of the pan.
- In a separate saucepan mix the Crema Mexicana, milk, and cinnamon. Add the chocolate and the pinch of salt, cook over low heat until chocolate melts and is incorporated into the milk and Crema.
- Pour chocolate mixture into the masa mixture, and stir until well blended, let simmer for about 5 more minutes, stirring constantly to avoid burning, discard the cinnamon sticks. Serve the drink while hot in a large cup. Enjoy this traditional Mexican comfort food by dipping in the Pan Dulce!