Crab and Corn Chowder
WHAT YOU NEED
- 1 cup Cacique® Crema Mexicana
- 1 cup Cacique® Crema Salvadorena
- ½ package (5 oz.) Ranchero® Queso Fresco, crumbled (for garnish)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup yellow onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 cups cream-style corn
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 cup clam juice
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 8 oz. lump crab meat, cooked
- ½ cup roasted red pepper
- 1 teaspoon canned chipotle in adobo, smashed up
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped (for garnish)
- ½ cup green onion, chopped (for garnish)
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Heat olive oil in large saucepan. Add onion, garlic, bay leaves, tomato paste and cumin. Sauté 2 minutes and add corn, flour, wine, clam juice and chicken stock. Bring to boil and reduce to simmer 30 minutes.
- Stir in crab, red pepper, chipotle, and Crema Mexicana. Stir to mix thoroughly. Continue to cook 5-10 more minutes, season to taste and add cheese.
- Remove bay leaves. Ladle into serving bowls and garnish with cilantro, green onion and Queso Fresco (if desired).
- This is a family favorite, a treasured recipe that has been passed down through the generations, straight from Maria's Cocina.