Pumpkin Pie Tamales with Pumpkin Pie Crema
WHAT YOU NEED
- Equipment needed: Instant Pot
- Corn husks, soaked and drained
- 3 1/2 cups masa
- 1 1/2 tbs brown sugar
- 2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp. salt
- 16 tbsp. butter
- 1 cup Cacique® Crema Mexicana
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 29oz can pumpkin
- 1/4 - 3/4 cup water, optional. Plus 1 cup for Instant Pot
- For Pumpkin Pie Crema
- 4oz Cacique® Crema Mexicana
- 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
HOW TO MAKE IT
- In a large bowl, combine the masa, brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice, and salt. Whisk to combine.
- In another heatproof bowl, melt the butter in a microwave or in a small saucepan over low heat. Add the Crema Mexicana and heat the bowl another 20 seconds to warm the crema. Mix in pumpkin and the vanilla
- Add the pumpkin to the masa mix. Mix to combine. If the dough is too wet, add a bit more masa mix. If it's too dry, add a little water 1/4 cup at a time until the dough comes together in a soft ball. Cover and chill for 30 minutes.
- When ready, fill the corn husks with the pumpkin pie masa dough. Fold and tie each packet with a strip of corn husk.
- Add 1 cup of water to your Instant pot and set in a steamer tray. Arrange the tamales, standing on end in the steamer tray. Don't over crowd so that the steam will circulate. Cover and set to cook for 25 minute and release the steam naturally.
- Repeat with the next batch. Freeze additional tamales for future enjoyment. Serve warm and top with Pumpkin Pie Crema
- Pumpkin Pie Crema: In a mixing bowl add the Crema Mexicana, pumpkin pie spice, and powdered sugar, and mix with a spatula until well combined.