Beef Chorizo and Panela Arepas
HOW TO MAKE IT
- In a medium bowl, combine the masa arepa, salt and hot water. Stir to combine until there are no lumps left. Cover the bowl and set aside for 10 minutes.
- While the dough rests, fry the Beef Chorizo in a skillet over medium heat, breaking it up as you cook, until cooked through, approximately 5-7 minutes. Spoon into a bowl and set aside. Wipe out the skillet.
- To make the arepas, divide the dough into 8 parts and form it into balls. Using your hands, press each ball to make a flat disk 4 inches in diameter.
- Put 2 tablespoons of oil into the skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Cook the arepas, in batches, for 3 to 4 minutes per side, until golden and crispy, flipping once. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate. When they’re cool enough to handle, use a small knife to cut a pocket in each.
- Fill the arepas with the Beef Chorizo and crumbled Panela, drizzle with the Crema Agria, and serve warm.