Chicken Tortilla Casserole
WHAT YOU NEED
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped and diced
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cans (14.5oz each) tomato sauce
- 1 3/4 cups chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 18 small corn tortillas
- 1 whole cooked rotisserie chicken, shredded well
- 1 whole round of Cacique® Queso Quesadilla Cheese, grated
- Salsa and fresh cilantro for garnishing
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large sauté pan, 10-12inches wide, heat the oil and add the onions and garlic. Cook for about 8 minutes over a medium heat and the onions turn soft. Add the tomato sauce, stock, and all of the spices. Stir thoroughly and simmer for 10 minutes.
- In a 13 x 9 inch oven proof baking dish, lay 6 of the tortillas on the bottom. Spread some of the chicken on top, followed by some sauce and then sprinkle some cheese on top. Lay another 6 tortillas on top of the cheese and repeat the process two more times, ending with cheese on top, ready for the oven.
- Bake in the oven, covered with foil for 35 minutes. Take the foil off and bake for a further 10 minutes and the cheese has melted and the sauce is bubbling around the edges. Serve at once with guacamole and fresh salsa.