Chorizo Cornbread Muffins
WHAT YOU NEED
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 1-cup cornmeal
- 1-cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 5-tablespoons sugar
- 1/4-teaspoon salt
- 1/2-teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 tube Cacique® Pork Chorizo
- 1 cup frozen or fresh sweet corn
- 1 cup Ranchero® Queso Fresco, crumbled
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Lightly grease muffin pans or use liners. In a large bowl, mix the cornmeal, flour, baking soda, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix eggs, butter, and buttermilk. Slowly pour the buttermilk mixture onto the cornmeal mixture, folding it together. The batter should be lumpy. Set aside batter and let rest for about 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, cook the Cacique® Pork Chorizo in a cold skillet on medium/high heat stirring constantly to cook evenly. Slowly add in corn until warmed and chorizo is cooked about 4 minutes.
- Fill muffin cups a little less than halfway with the cornbread batter. Evenly layer cooked chorizo and corn mixture over batter. Take crumbled Ranchero® Queso Fresco and evenly layer over chorizo mixture. Add remainder of the cornbread batter over top. You can top batter with a few crumbles of Queso Fresco and Chorizo if you like.
- Bake until the tops of the muffins are golden brown and are thoroughly cooked, about 18-20 minutes. You can use a toothpick to check the center of the muffins for doneness. Remove the cornbread muffins from the oven and let it cool before serving.