Mac and Cheese with Shrimp, Bacon & Roasted Chiles
WHAT YOU NEED
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni or shells
- 6 slices thick-cut bacon, diced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 4-ounce can diced fire-roasted chiles, drained
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon cayenne (or to taste)
- 2 cups milk
- 6 ounces Cacique® Cotija, shredded
- 4 ounces Cacique® Queso Quesadilla, shredded
- 4 ounces Cacique® Queso Fresco, crumbled
- Salt and pepper
- 8 ounces uncooked medium shrimp, topped and tailed
- Non-stick cooking spray
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and lightly grease a 2-quart casserole. Cook the macaroni according to package directions.
- While the macaroni is cooking, fry the bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat until crisp. Spoon the bacon pieces into a paper towel-lined bowl and remove all but two tablespoons of the bacon grease. Add the diced onion and cook 5 to 6 minutes until lightly browned and tender. Stir in the chiles and sprinkle the flour and cayenne over all. Add the milk gradually, stirring as you go to avoid lumps, and then sprinkle in the Cotija and Queso Quesadilla, stirring to melt into a creamy mixture. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Combine the drained cooked macaroni with the cheese sauce and stir in the uncooked shrimp. Turn the mixture into the prepared casserole and top with the Queso Fresco. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until bubbling and lightly browned.