Mexican Capirotada with Queso Fresco & Crema Mexicana
WHAT YOU NEED
- 1 cup Cacique® Crema Mexicana
- 1 package (10 oz.) Cacique® Queso Fresco, crumbled
- 4 bolillos or 1 loaf of french bread
- 15 oz. evaporated milk
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla bean paste (or extract)
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. ground nutmeg
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 1¼ cups packed dark brown sugar or piloncillo, plus 3 tablespoons
- ½ cup raisins
- ¼ cup shredded coconut
- ¼ cup walnuts or pecans, rough chop
- Sprinkles, for garnish
- Non-stick cooking spray
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9x9-inch casserole dish.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine crema, evaporated milk, eggs, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and whisk until blended well. Add brown sugar and blend until well incorporated. Set aside. Place a layer of bread covering the entire surface of the casserole dish. Pour syrup mixture on top. Cover with nuts, coconut, raisins, and Queso Fresco. Repeat the process one more time. Make sure that each piece of bread is properly coated in the syrup mixture.
- Sprinkle the remaining 3 tablespoons of brown sugar over the capirotada, cover the dish with aluminum foil and place in the oven for 30 minutes until the top is golden brown. Remove from oven and garnish with sprinkles. Serve warm and drizzled with more Crema Mexicana if you like.