Oaxaca and Chorizo Football Empanadas
WHAT YOU NEED
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 stick + 6 tbsp cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 egg, at room temperature and whisked
- 1 Cacique® Pork Chorizo
- 5 oz Cacique® Oaxaca Cheese, cubed
- 1 egg, well-beaten, for egg wash
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- For the dough: Use a pastry cutter or a fork to cut the butter into the flour until it forms a crumbly consistency. Sprinkle in the salt and stir. Pour in the warm water and egg and stir together until it forms a clumpy dough. Then knead the dough for about 5 minutes. With a rolling pin, roll out the dough. Use a 3 1/2-inch football cookie cutter or a pliable round cutter bent it into the shape of a football. You can cut out football shapes by hand with a knife. Reroll the dough scraps together and cut out more football shapes until you have 24.
- For filling: In a pan, add chorizo and cook on medium heat stirring until it breaks apart into crumbles.
- Fill the football empanadas by placing about 2-3 Tablespoons of the chorizo and a few cubes of Oaxaca in each and with your finger take a bit of the egg wash and run it around the edges of the dough then cover with another piece of the football shaped dough. Use a fork to push down and seal the filling inside. Brush the tops with the egg wash for a little shine. Repeat until you have 12 football empanadas.
- Prepare a parchment lined baking sheets and place your empanadas on for baking. Bake the empanadas for about 12 to 15 minutes until they're golden-brown color.