Oaxaca, Potato and Chorizo Empanadas
WHAT YOU NEED
- For Dough:
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 stick + 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup warm water
- 1 egg, at room temperature and whisked
- For Filling:
- 1 Cacique Pork Chorizo
- 5 oz. Cacique® Oaxaca Cheese, cubed
- 2 russet potatoes, cubed
- 1 egg, well-beaten, for egg wash
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- For the dough: Use a pastry cutter or a fork to cut the butter into the flour until it forms a crumbly consistency. Sprinkle in the salt and stir. Pour in the warm water and egg and stir together until it forms a clumpy dough. Then knead the dough for about 5 minutes. Cut the dough into 24 pieces and with your hands roll each piece into a ball. With a rolling pin, roll them out evenly into 5 to 6-inch circles.
- For filling: In a pan, add chorizo and cook on medium heat stirring until it breaks apart into crumbles. Add cubed potatoes and salt to taste. Cover and leave cooking until potatoes are soft then uncover and cook for 5-10 more minutes until the liquid evaporates.
- Fill empanadas by placing about 2-3 Tablespoons of the chorizo and potato mixture and a few cubes of Oaxaca in each circle. With your finger, take a bit of the egg wash and run it across one side of the 3" circles to help the empanadas seal. Fold over and seal the edges by pressing down with a fork or create little folds and pinch to seal the filling inside. Brush the tops with the egg wash for a little shine.
- Prepare a parchment lined baking sheets and place your empanadas on for baking. Bake the empanadas for about 12 to 15 minutes until they're golden-brown color.