Panela Cheese on a Stick
WHAT YOU NEED
- 2 packages of Cacique Panela
- 3/4 cup corn meal
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 Tablespoons Sugar
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 Tablespoon oil
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Oil for frying (about 2 cups)
- 16 wooden lollipop sticks
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Place the dry ingredients in a bowl. Mix them until they are fully combined.
- In a separate container add the egg, oil, and honey. Stir it together so the egg is beaten.
- Pour the egg mixture into the dry ingredients bowl. Add the buttermilk and stir it all together. Do not over mix it. You just want all the dry ingredients mixed in with the wet. The batter will be thick. Then, set the batter aside for a few minutes. It will continue to set up while you get the oil and Panela ready.
- Cut the Panela into 1.5 inch by 3-inch pieces until you have 16 pieces. Poke the sticks into the ends of the Panela.
- Place a frying pan on your stove and get it warm at medium heat. Pour in about 2 cups of oil. This measurement will depend on the size of your pan. The oil should be about an inch deep. Heat to 350ºF.
- You can test if your oil is ready for frying by placing a small scoop of batter into the oil. If it floats to the top and starts to bubble, the oil is hot enough for frying. If it starts smoking and cooking the batter too fast, then turn the burner down a little. If the batter sinks and doesn't bubble at all, wait a few minutes longer and try the test again.
- Dip Panela cheese sticks into the batter then place into the oil to fry. You can do a few at a time.
- Cook for about one minute and then rotate them about 1/3 of the way around. Wait a minute and then rotate it again. Continue rotating until the cheese stick is a dark golden brown. Rotate using tongs on the stick.
- Take the cheese stick out of the oil and let it cool resting on a paper towel or napkin. Repeat the cooking process until all cheese sticks are fried and ready.
- For an extra cheesy treat, serve them with your favorite flavor of Cacique Queso Dips!