Southwest Green Chile Cheese Dog
WHAT YOU NEED
- 1 small red onion, finely sliced
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice (2 to 3 limes)
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- pinch of salt
- 6 New Mexico or Anaheim chiles
- 3 poblano chiles
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons minced cilantro
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Tiny pinch of cumin
- 10 of your favorite hot dogs
- 10 gourmet hot dog buns
- Cacique® Oaxaca Cheese, cut into strings
- Fresh cilantro, chopped for garnish
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Toss the onion slices in the orange and lime juice. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and let marinate while grilling the chiles.
- Grill the New Mexico and poblano chiles over a hot BBQ or under the broiler until the skins are blistered and charred. About 5 to 8 minutes on each side. Place the hot chiles in a bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap so that the steam from the chiles will loosen the skins. When the chiles are cool, use a paper towel to remove the charred and blistered skins. Do not wash the chiles under running water, it will wash away some of the flavor of the chiles. Dice and set aside.
- Combine the vegetable oil, sliced green onions, minced cilantro, pinch of cumin, salt, and pepper together in a small bowl. Pour the mixture over the diced chiles and mix so that the chiles are well coated. Taste for seasoning and add more salt and pepper, if desired. Cover the chile mixture and set aside.
- Grill the hot dogs and warm the buns.
- To Serve, Place a grilled hot dog in the bun and cover with green chile mixture. Place pieces of Oaxaca cheese over the hot dog and heat on the grill until the cheese is melted.
- Drain the marinated onions and place on top of the hot cheese. Garnish with cilantro.