Warm Vegetarian Orzo With Toasted Pine Nuts and Cotija Cheese
WHAT YOU NEED
- 1 cup of orzo pasta, cooked al dente
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1/2 zucchini, sliced
- 1/2 yellow squash, sliced
- 1/2 orange bell pepper, sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, sliced
- 10 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Basil
- 1/4 cup grated Cacique® Cotija Cheese
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Salt and pepper to taste
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Cook orzo according to package, approximately 9 minutes.
- Toast pine nuts for 5 minutes in an oven preheated to 375 degrees F. Set aside to cool.
- Sauté shallots, zucchini, yellow squash and bell peppers in 1 tablespoon of olive oil until soft. Do not brown.
- Turn off heat and toss orzo with 1 tablespoon olive oil and the juice of 1/2 lemon. Add sautéed vegetables, cherry tomatoes, toasted pine nuts, fresh basil and cotija cheese. Season with salt and pepper and serve warm.
- Tip: Be sure vegetables are chopped and ready to cook before cooking the orzo.
- Tip: Add a touch of olive oil to the water when cooking the orzo to prevent it from sticking together after it has been drained.