Black Bean Tlacoyo with Cotija Cheese
WHAT YOU NEED
- 2 cups masa harina (corn flour)
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil and as needed for light pan frying
- 1/4 cup diced white onions
- 1 (16 ounce) can of black beans
- 1/2 cup crumbled Cacique® Cotija Cheese, plus more for serving.
- 1 large orange, zested (optional)
- 1 (30 ounce) jar nopalitos, drained
- 1 1/2 cups salsa verde
- 5-6 radishes, thinly sliced
- Optional: chopped cilantro
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Place the masa harina in a large bowl. Slowly pour in the warm water and mix with your hands. Feel free to add more/less water. The dough should not be sticky, but smooth and hold its shape. This recipe makes 12 medium tlacoyos, or 6 larger tlacoyos so divide your dough accordingly. Roll the dough in balls. Using a tortilla press lined with parchment paper, press the balls of dough into round disk shapes, like corn tortillas.
- Meanwhile, in a medium skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Stir in the onions and allow to cook until they soften and become slightly translucent, about 3 minutes. Mix in the black beans, mashing into a paste. Add in the 1/2 cup Cacique® Cotija cheese and orange zest as this will give another dimension of flavor - adding the orange zest is completely optional and adds brightness to the beans. Remove from the heat once heated through and mashed into a paste. Reserve.
- Once the balls of masa are flattened, place the beans off-center. (1 tablespoon beans for medium tlacoyos or 2 tablespoons for larger tlacoyos.) Fold over the corn tortilla into a half-round. Using your hands, seal the edges and then shape them into a slight oblong/torpedo shape.
- Add just enough vegetable oil to coat a comal/pan and then heat over medium-high heat. Place the tlacoyos on the hot comal/pan and allow to cook until golden brown, about 3-5 minutes each side.
- While you are cooking the tlacoyos, boil the nopalitos for 10 minutes, drain and reserve.
- To serve, place the warm tlacoyos on plates and spread the salsa verde on top. This will act like a “glue” to keep your toppings on. Add the radish slices and crumbled Cacique® Cotija cheese. Add the nopalitos and top with even more cheese and cilantro.