Cotija Chicken Breast Pocket with Tomatillo Sauce
WHAT YOU NEED
- ½ package (5 oz.) Cacique® Cotija, crumbled (plus extra for garnish)
- ½ cup microwavable Mexican rice
- 4 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 medium eggplant, thinly sliced lengthwise
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups tomatillo sauce or green enchilada sauce
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a baking dish with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- Cook rice according to package directions and set aside.
- Place chicken breast on a sturdy work surface and cover with plastic wrap. Using a meat mallet or a small heavy saucepan, pound chicken breasts to ½-inch thickness. Remove plastic wrap, brush chicken with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place 1 or 2 slices of eggplant on top of chicken to cover. Place a large spoonful of rice and a large spoonful of cheese at one end of eggplant. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper and fold other half of eggplant and chicken over rice and cheese. Secure open end of chicken with a skewer or toothpicks.
- Place remaining olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Carefully add chicken breasts and cook for 2 minutes on each side until golden brown. Dont worry about some of the filling falling out.
- Remove from skillet and place in prepared baking dish. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, heat tomatillo or enchilada sauce in a small saucepan over low heat. When chicken breasts are done, remove skewers or toothpicks and let rest for a few minutes. Serve chicken with tomatillo sauce and cheese on top.
- To Reheat: Place on a microwave-safe plate and cover loosely with plastic wrap. Microwave for 2 minutes, or until warmed through.