Queso Fresco Beef Rolls with Chipotle Salsa
WHAT YOU NEED
- 1 package (12 oz.) Ranchero® Queso Fresco, cut in 1" strips
- 1 lb. skirt steak
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1½ cups cilantro, chopped
- 6 roma tomatoes
- 1 medium onion
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo (canned, seeds removed)
- Salt and pepper to taste
HOW TO MAKE IT
- In a medium-sized skillet, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil until smoking and add tomatoes and onions. Cook for 2 minutes and add garlic, oregano, cilantro and chile. Cook 1 minute more then puree in blender or food processor, adding lime, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Take a piece of the skirt steak and lay on a cutting board (there should be a natural separation dividing the meat in two, making it appear like a butterfly). Cut in two, down the middle with a meat cleaver. Pound the meat slightly. Place half the cheese on one end and roll up, repeat with second piece. Salt and pepper to taste and brown on all sides in a hot oiled skillet.
- Bake in a 350ºF oven for about 8 minutes (cheese should be slightly melted). Place on serving platter and top with Salsa Chipotle and sprinkle with the chopped cilantro.