Pambazo Mexicano: Chorizo & Potato Sandwich
WHAT YOU NEED
- ¼ cup crumbled Cacique® Queso Fresco
- 2 Cacique® Chorizo Packages (Beef, Pork or Soy)
- 2 ½ cups potatoes, diced
- 3 Guajillo peppers seeds, and veins removed
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 8 black peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 6 Teleras or Kaiser rolls sliced lengthwise
- 1 ½ cup of shredded iceberg lettuce
- Cacique® Crema Mexicana, for garnish
- Salt to taste
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Place the diced potatoes in a saucepan with hot water and cook over medium-high heat. Cook for about 10-12 minutes.
- While the potatoes are cooking, place the guajillo peppers in a bowl with hot water to soften.
- Cook the chorizo in a skillet over medium-high heat, breaking down into crumbles. It will be ready in about 6-8 minutes.
- Once potatoes are done, remove and drain and stir into the skillet with the chorizo. Cook for an additional 3 minutes allowing the flavors of the chorizo to blend onto the potatoes.
- Place Guajillo peppers, 1 cup of soaking water, garlic clove, oregano, and peppercorns into a blender. Process until you have a smooth sauce. Strain and place in a bowl.
- Heat a griddle and add a 1/2 tablespoon of oil. Place both sides of the buns inside face down on the griddle and brush the outsides of the rolls with the Guajillo salsa. Flip the rolls so the tops get a little warm and crispy. This step will be about a minute per side. Repeat the process with the rest of the rolls, adding oil to the skillet as needed.
- To assemble the Pambazo, place some of the chorizo and potato mixture on each toasted roll, then top with the shredded lettuce, Queso Fresco and Crema.