Shrimp Sopes With Roasted Poblano Crema
WHAT YOU NEED
- 8 Cacique Sopes de la Casa
- 2 Poblano Peppers
- ¾ cup Cacique Crema Mexicana
- 2 Tablespoons Red Onion, finely diced
- 1 ½ lbs Shrimp, peeled and deveined
- ¼ teaspoon Chile Pepper
- ¼ teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- ¼ teaspoon Old Bay
- Kosher salt
- Fresh Cracked Pepper
- 2 teaspoons Olive Oil
- 1 28oz can vegetarian refried beans
- Cacique Queso Fresco, crumbled for garnish
- 1 ½ cups red cabbage, finely shredded
- Fresh Cilantro, loosely chopped for garnish
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Heat the oven broiler. Roast the poblano peppers, 4-5 minutes per side, until skin is all blistered and peppers are soft. Transfer to a freezer bag and let them steam. Once cool enough to handle, peel and remove seeds. Blend the peppers with the Crema Mexicana and a pinch of salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a bowl, season the shrimp well with chili powder (add a pinch more to for heat), smoked paprika, Old Bay and a pinch of salt and pepper. Heat a large, nonstick skillet on high heat. Add the olive oil and shrimp and cook, tossing occasionally, until shrimp are just cooked through, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Heat 1-inch-deep oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Carefully add Sopes 1-2 at a time and cook about 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate to drain excess oil. Repeat with remaining Sopes.
- To assemble Sopes, spread a layer of refried beans on the Sope. Top with cabbage, 5-6 shrimp, a drizzle of Roasted Poblano Crema, crumbled Queso Fresco and fresh cilantro.