Taqueria Fish Tacos
WHAT YOU NEED
- 1½ pounds of cod, cut into even strips (approx. 18 pieces)
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1 cup beer
- 3 tsp kosher salt, divided
- freshly ground black pepper
- oil, for frying
- warm corn tortillas, for serving
- ½ head of green cabbage, finely shredded
- 3 limes, for serving
- Cacique Brand Ranchero Queso Fresco, crumbled for serving
- Cacique Crema Mexicana for serving
- Cacique Homestyle Medium, for serving
HOW TO MAKE IT
- In a heavy bottom pot, heat 2 inches of oil to 350°.
- Season the cod with 2 tsp salt and a few grinds of freshly black pepper.
- In a medium bowl, add self-rising flour, and whisk in beer, 1 tsp salt and a few grinds of freshly ground black pepper.
- Dip each piece of fish in the batter, let the excess drip off. Place in the hot oil and fry 2-3 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked through. Add a couple more pieces of battered fish to the hot oil. Fry no more than three pieces at a time. To keep the fish hot while frying the rest, place on a cooling rack in the oven, on the lowest setting.
- Place a piece of cod on a tortilla, top with shredded cabbage, Queso Fresco crumbles, Homestyle Salsa, a drizzle of Crema Mexicana and a squeeze of lime. Serve immediately.