Cacique L.A. Dog Empanadas
WHAT YOU NEED
- 12 ounces package bacon
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 jalapeños, stemmed, seeded and diced
- 8 all-beef hot dog wieners, diced
- 5 ounces Cacique® Enchilado
- 5 ounces Cacique® Cotija
- 1 cup Cacique® Crema Salvadoreña
- 36 empanada wrappers, thawed
- 1-ounce sesame seeds
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Cook the bacon in a large skillet until crispy. Drain on paper towels and then chop or crumble. Reserve 1 tablespoon bacon fat and discard the rest. In the same skillet, heat 1 tablespoon bacon fat over medium-high heat. Sauté onions and jalapeños until onions become translucent and fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add diced beef wieners and sauté 5 minutes. Transfer to a large mixing bowl and allow to cool slightly. Meanwhile preheat oven to 425F. Line 3 baking trays with parchment paper and set aside.
- Grate Cacique® Enchilado and crumble the Cotija. Add the cheese and crema to the bowl and mix all ingredients until well incorporated. Place a heaping tablespoon of filling on one half of each of the dough circles. Wet the bottom edge of the circles with egg glaze to help seal the two halves. Fold over the dough to cover filling and seal off the edges with a fork pressing down along the edges. Repeat with remaining dough and filling. Brush each empanada with egg glaze and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake 18-20 minutes.