Layered Mac and Cheese with Cacique® Chorizo
WHAT YOU NEED
- 16 ounces macaroni
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 9-ounce package Cacique® Beef or Pork Chorizo
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ancho chile powder
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 to 2 chipotles in adobo, minced
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 ½ cups milk
- 1 10-ounce package Cacique® Oaxaca, shredded
- 1 10-ounce package Cacique® Queso Fresco, crumbled
- Salt and pepper
- Vegetable oil or butter, to grease the baking dish
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease a 9 x 13-inch baking dish. Cook the macaroni according to package directions.
- While the macaroni is cooking, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the Chorizo and cook, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, for 3 to 4 minutes. Add the onion and garlic to the skillet and continue cooking until the onions are tender, approximately 5 to 6 minutes. Sprinkle with the cumin and ancho chile powder and cook for an additional 1 to 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes, chipotle in adobo and beans and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer gently for 10 minutes, until slightly thickened.
- While the sauce simmers, in a large saucepan melt the butter over medium heat. Sprinkle with the flour and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the milk gradually, stirring all the time to prevent lumps from forming. Add the shredded Oaxaca and half the crumbled Cotija. Cook, stirring, for 3 to 4 minutes, until the cheese melts (the Cotija won’t melt all the way.)
- When the macaroni is done, drain it and stir it into the cheese sauce. Taste and add salt and pepper if needed.
- To assemble, put a third of the Chorizo-tomato sauce in the bottom of the prepared pan. Top with half the mac and cheese, then another third of the Chorizo-tomato, the rest of the mac and cheese, and the remaining chorizo-tomato. Sprinkle the top with the remaining Cotija. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until bubbling. Serve warm.