WHAT YOU NEED
- 1 pound dried pinto beans
- salt to taste
- 12 ounces bacon, diced
- 10 ounces Cacique® Pork Chorizo
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound fresh Roma tomatoes, roasted and diced
- 4 beef franks, sliced in rounds
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Jalapeño rounds for garnish
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Place beans in a large bowl with enough water to cover. Soak for 8 hours. Drain and rinse.
- Cook bacon in a large saucepan stirring constantly until bacon begins to brown. Add chorizo, breaking up with a large spoon to cook evenly. When fat begins to render, add onion and cook until tender; about 3 minutes. Stir in garlic, cook for 30 seconds. Add tomatoes and franks. Stir until mixture thickens.
- Add beans, stock, bay leaves and salt to taste. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat then reduce to low-medium heat to simmer. Cover and cook until beans are tender, about 45 minutes. Discard bay leaves, serve and top with cilantro and jalapeño.