Queso Fresco and Chorizo Empanadas
WHAT YOU NEED
- 24 empanada disks, store-bought or homemade
- 1 Cacique Pork Chorizo
- 3 cups Cacique Queso Fresco, large crumbles
- 1 tablespoon butter or oil
- 1/2 white onion (finely diced – about 1 cup)
- 1 egg yolk with 1 tablespoon water whisked together, egg wash to brush on empanadas before baking
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 F.
- Heat the butter or oil in a frying pan over medium low heat, add the diced onions and cook until they are soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the chorizo from the packaging, break it up in chunks and add it to the onions. Cook the chorizo on medium heat until it is fully cooked; stir frequently to help break up the pieces of chorizo. Let the chorizo cool down completely before using.
- To assemble the empanadas, add a spoonful Queso Fresco topped with a spoonful of the chorizo on to the center of each empanada disc.
- Fold the empanada discs and gently seal the edges with your fingers. Twist and fold the edges of the empanadas with your fingers. For extra sealing you can use a fork to press down on the edges.
- Chill the empanadas for at least an hour, this will help them seal better and prevent leaks.
- Brush the empanadas with egg wash right before baking to give them a nice golden glow. Bake the empanadas for 20-25 minutes or until golden. Serve with your favorite Cacique Crema or Salsa.