Nopalitos con Chorizo
WHAT YOU NEED
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups fresh cactus, thorns removed and sliced in strips
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 Cacique® Pork Chorizo
- 2/3 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 2 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- ½ cup Cacique® Queso Fresco, crumbled
- Warm corn tortillas to serve with
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Boil 4 cups water in a medium saucepan, add cactus strips and salt to water, decrease heat to medium low, cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until tender and the gelatinous liquid and foam the cactus exudes has dried out. Drain and set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Cook chorizo, breaking it up with large spoon to cook evenly. When chorizo renders its fat, stir in onion and garlic. Continue cooking until onion is tender, add tomatoes, cook for 2 minutes and stir in cooked cactus strips. Stir to combine all ingredients evenly. Cover, cook for 5-7 minutes. Sprinkle with queso fresco. Serve warm with corn tortillas.